When I first started looking into graduate studies I specifically focused on finding an online Master’s Degree in English. After searching far and wide for this seemingly “non-existent” program, I came across not just what I was looking for, but also a variety of degree programs with options for post-graduate employment. Enjoy!
1. Western New Mexico University
Degree: Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
Western New Mexico University’s Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies offers students the opportunity to select from fourteen different concentrations to essentially create their own degree program. Students can select two or three concentrations from the following:
- Bilingual Education
- Business Administration
- Criminal Justice
- Elementary Education
- Management Information Systems
- Political Science
- Reading Education
- Secondary Education
- Social Work
With affordable tuition (in state for students who enroll part time) and small class sizes, WNMU is an undiscovered gem!
2. Morehead State University
Master of Arts in Social Sciences
Morehead State University, located in Morehead, Kentucky, started offering a Master of Arts in Social Sciences in the fall 2011 semester. Students have the option of taking classes online, on campus, or both. The program, according to the university, prepares students for career advancement in the fields of teaching, law, Ph.D. programs, and non-profit organizations; however, a Master’s Degree can help one advance their career outside of a specified field as well.
Tuition for online graduate students is currently $559 per credit hour, which does not include any applicable fees, books, or other charges.
3. George Mason University
Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
Offering ten different structured concentrations and one Individualized Studies concentration, George Mason University’s MAIS degree program allows students to continue their studies via distance education.
- Community college teaching (with a focus on communication, English, information systems, math, Spanish, or TESL)
- Computational social science
- Energy and sustainability
- Film and video studies
- Folklore studies
- Higher education (administration or student services)
- Religion, culture and values
- Social Entrepreneurship
- War and the military in society
- Women and gender studies
While the program requires 36 credits for completion, students are required to also complete a project or thesis in order to meet all degree requirements. Tuition is charged based on residency and don’t forget about fees and other varies expenses students make incur while enrolled.
4. Antioch University
Individualized Master of Arts
Structured to meet the needs of the students, AU’s Individualized Master of Arts degree program allow students to completely customize their area of study, classes, and skills to assist them in their career field. Students can select from three different concentrations and select classes from there!
- Applied Psychology
- Eco Psychology
- Psychology and Spirituality
- Contemplative Psychology
- Integrative Studies in Psychology
- Personal and professional Coaching
- Integral Knowledge Systems
- Integral Social Transformation
- Consciousness Studies
- Human, Organizational and Community Development
- Health and Wellness
- Education Studies
- Management/Organizational Leadership
- Sustainability Studies
- Creative nonfiction
- Metaphysics and Epistemology
- Logic and the Philosophy of Language
- Values and Ethics
- Social and Political Philosophy