As the elderly population increases due to the aging Baby Boomers, the field of public health is experiencing growth in all positions. The demand for skilled health office administrators who can manage the office flow and clerical staff has increased by 30 percent since the 1990’s according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employers in the medical fields seek highly trained canidates with skills in management, financial reporting, and office procedures. Health office administrators work in such fields as:
- Nursing Homes
- Health-insurance Providers
- Veterinary Offices
Health office administrators may train new staff, prepare statistical reports from databases, analyze budgets, and manage work flow in a medical setting.
Distance Learning Health Office Administration Degree
Students in the field of health office administration can obtain a degree through a distance learning program through an accredited online school. Courses are offered through a virtual classroom with an experienced professor. In most fields, online college degrees can be earned through an accelerated program that lets student graduate faster than traditional programs.
Types of Health Office Administration Degrees
Degrees in Health Office Administration can be earned on the following levels:
- Certificate of Completion
- Associate of Science in Health Office Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Health Office Administration
Students earning a four year bachelor’s degree in health office administration make higher wages than those with certificates and associates degrees and are eligible for office management positions.
Health Office Administration Degree Courses
A distance learning degree in health office administration offers a core curriculum of medical office management courses. Classes are designed to teach students how to manage a medical office as well as underlings. Office administrators supervise the work product of the office and manage clerical staff. Curriculum includes 180 quarter credit hours in courses such as:
- Health-Care Ethics I– A course that introduces basic concepts in health-care issues such as confidentiality and informed consent.
- Financial Accounting Foundations– An introductory course that covers basic accounting tools such as income statements, inventory of assets, and the preparation of income statements.
- Leadership in Health Services Administration– This course is designed to teach the student management skills in a medical setting through the exploration of different roles in the health management field.
- Introduction to Business Statistics– An introductory lesson on calculating the statistics of a business through data analysis.
Courses are specifically chosen to give the student a well-rounded education in managing all aspects of a medical office including management, financial reporting, and personnel management.
Careers for Graduates of Office Health Administration Degree
The need for degreed office health administrator is in high demand. Employers in medical settings hire office health administrators for:
- Administrative Assistants
- Assistant Department Heads
- Medical Office Managers
These positions offer an enjoyable work environment and excellent work hours.
Outlook for Distance Learning Health Office Administrator Degree
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for health office administrators with Bachelor’s degrees will increase by 22 percent by the year 2020, which is faster than many other degrees. Health office administrations receive a median salary of $28,300.00. Those who obtain management positions can make higher wages. As a fast growing field, a distance learning degree in health office administration is a solid investment.