Coursera is a company that works with many top universities around the world to provide its users with free courses taught by top college professors. As the distance learning becomes more and more popular and accepted, coursera surely is one of the best online free learning companies.
There Are 33 Universities That Are Partners With Coursera
- Berklee College of Music
- Brown University
- California Institute of Technology
- Columbia University
- Duke University
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- Emory University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Johns Hopkins University
- Ohio State University
- Princeton University
- Rice University
- Stanford University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of British Columbia
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California, San Francisco
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Florida
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of London International Programmes
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Melbourne
- University of Michigan
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Toronto
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington
- Vanderbilt University
- Wesleyan University
There Are 215 Courses Divided Into 20 Categories
- Biology & Life Sciences
- Computer Science: Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Vision
- Computer Science: Systems, Security, Networking
- Economics & Finance
- Electrical and Materials Engineering
- Health and Society & Medical Ethics
- Information, Technology, and Design
- Music, Film, and Audio Engineering
- Social Sciences
- Business & Management
- Computer Science: Programming & Software Engineering
- Computer Science: Theory
- Food and Nutrition
- Physical & Earth Sciences
- Statistics, Data Analysis, and Scientific Computing
Use this link to search courses that may interest you by either university or category.
Pros Of Coursera
- Free Free Free!: This is a big pro of coursera. Who does not like free education?
- Top Education Experience: You can get education from top universities around world.
- Great Pedagogy: Coursera’s pedagogy focuses on efficacy, retrieval and testing, mastery learning, peer assessment, and active learning. All these pedagogy is aiming to make sure students who learn on coursera to get a solid online education. Learners can learn by watching videos of college professors’ lectures.
- More Freedom: Like all online classes, you are in charge of your own pace. Especially if you have a busy schedule, you can still learn by using coursera when have free time.
- Relatively Short Courses: The courses offered to coursera users are measures by weeks. Some courses are only about a month.
- Easy Entry: You may never get admitted to top universities like Stanford University. However, coursera can make your dream come true. You can just simply sign up and take a class taught by Stanford professors.
- No Curriculum Limit: You are the one who choose what courses to take and how many courses to take. You are not forced to take the courses, instead, you take a course because of your own interest.
- Build Up Your Resume: Taking courses on coursera may make you stand out among job seekers.
- Personal Growth: Learning’s purpose is to make yourself better. Coursera can help!
Cons Of Coursera
- No Diploma: Coursera does not offer any degree. The courses you take are valued less than a real college degree.
- Limited Course Option: Though there are 215 courses available on cousera, they still can not meet everyone’s needs.
- Course Is Not Always Available: Some courses may not be available when you want to take them. You may have to wait for some courses to start.
I would recommend coursera to anyone who are too busy to go back to school, but still want to learn deeper into a specific field, or anyone who want to learn more. Though it will not give you a college degree, you are guaranteed to have a great learning experience by learning with top universities professors.