Northwestern College (Minnesota) Distance Learning

Northwestern College in Roseville, Minnesota (just a short drive from St Paul and Minneapolis) is the only non-denominational Christian college in the state. More importantly, Billy Graham was the second president of the college (yes, that Billy Graham).

Originally established as the Northwestern Bible and Missionary Training School in 1902, the college soon began offering degree programs, though never losing its Baptist church backed Christian core. Holding firm to its mission of using Christian based education to encourage service, leadership, and bring morality/spirituality out into the adult world, Northwestern utilizes a varied liberal arts curriculum to offer undergrads and graduate degrees. Popular majors aren’t all religious, with 50 undergraduate choices including education and applied mathematics, although every major involves at least 30 credits of Bible study (the Bachelor of Music is actually 45% music credits, with the other 55% Bible, elective, and general credits). Most majors offer classes online, though there are no completely online undergraduate degrees.

There is a dual major program with the nearby University of Minnesota, with a student’s first 3 years spent at Northwestern before transferring and completing a focused engineering degree.

There are also two graduate programs, with an MA in Theological Studies and a Master of Organizational Leadership both offered either on campus or completely online (the MOL brand new for 2011 online). Distance learners can also get two graduate certificates online (or traditionally) in either Christian Studies or Leadership.

Minnesota’s Northwestern College also offers distance learning for returning adult students through their FOCUS degree completion program. Using either evening or completely online classes, adult learners working around their busy daily life can have 60+ credits transferred towards completing a degree. Options include two different B.A.s (Global and Biblical Studies), Master’s in Theological Studies and Organizational Leadership, as well as certifications and an Associate’s that can be completed entirely online (or once a week or weekend traditional classes). Those looking for an early start on college can also take classes for credit online while still in high school. Online courses exist for traditional undergrads as well, with a full course load each semester.

High schoolers also have distance learning options at Northwestern , whether they’re Minnesota residents or otherwise (though those that live in state pay no charge for this). Online courses earn college credit while still in secondary school, even loaning books at no extra charge.

Northwestern’s commitment to Christian education also extends to programs like the Northwestern Bible Institute, offering diplomas (not degrees) and “sound, Biblical, Christ-centered instruction…to urban Christians”. For those in Latin America, there is also the Christian Center for Communication in Equador, offering an Associate degree in Applied Science and Bible with the college’s full accreditation (it is specifically for Spanish speakers and includes a specialization in Electronics Media Communication).

Located on 107 acres of property abutting Lake Johanna, it teaches 1800 on campus students, as well as another 1200 graduate and distance learners an education based in Christian teachings, but also providing technologically advanced learning opportunities to seekers around the world.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in University Reviews

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*