The year is ending. For many of us, this means new beginnings and new circumstances that we must become accustomed to. So now, we’ve reached the point of graduation. Some will go onto the career field and immediately be part of the working class – some will continue their educations in their respective fields. So what was the point of all of this if, at the end, we have the choice to leave or stay? Well, the quotes I am about to share with you are somewhat different than any quotes I have shared with you in the past. They are reminders of the day that is to come when we separate to our own paths and graduate.
#1. Kurt Vonnegut
“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
#2. Robert Kiyosaki
“We go to school to learn to work hard for money. I write books and create products that teach people how to have money work hard for them.”
#3. Albert Ellis
“I think the future of psychotherapy and psychology is in the school system. We need to teach every child how to rarely seriously disturb himself or herself and how to overcome disturbance when it occurs.”
#4. Danica McKellar
“I wasn’t in school often enough to really belong to a ‘clique,’ but my friends all studied hard and got pretty good grades. They were good people with self-respect. I still like to be friends with people I admire something about; I really believe that we become like the people we’re surrounded by, so I choose my friends carefully!”
#5. Mark Hoppus
“Everything in high school seems like the most important thing that’s ever happened in your life. It’s not. You’ll get out of high school and you never see those people again. All the people who torment and press you won’t make a difference in your life in the long haul.”
““THE FIRST TEN LIES THEY TELL YOU IN HIGH SCHOOL
1. We are here to help you.
2. You will have time to get to your class before the bell rings.
3. The dress code will be enforced.
4. No smoking is allowed on school grounds.
5. Our football team will win the championship this year.
6. We expect more of you here.
7. Guidance counselors are always available to listen.
8. Your schedule was created with you in mind.
9. Your locker combination is private.
10. These will be the years you look back on fondly.
TEN MORE LIES THEY TELL YOU IN HIGH SCHOOL
1. You will use algebra in your adult lives.
2. Driving to school is a privilege that can be taken away.
3. Students must stay on campus during lunch.
4. The new text books will arrive any day now.
5. Colleges care more about you than your SAT scores.
6. We are enforcing the dress code.
7. We will figure out how to turn off the heat soon.
8. Our bus drivers are highly trained professionals.
9. There is nothing wrong with summer school.
10. We want to hear what you have to say.”
Interestingly enough, we can choose to look at our school lives as bitter or ones of happiness. Regardless, they are part of our past now. Nothing but good or bad memories that honestly won’t matter as much as the present or future that is to come.